12 October 2012

“Pray to God, but row away from the rocks.” ~Hunter S. Thompson

“Pray to God, but row away from the rocks.”
Hunter S. Thompson

Brilliant!

When asked about my spirituality, religious beliefs or the likes thereof, I'm sure that at first, I get that 'deer in a headlights' look on my face, but that is quickly replaced by my 'you really want me to tell ya' look. Religion is such a personal preference, and for me, I see it in a myriad of colors.While I have a profound respect for ALL religions of the world, I personally do not subscribe to any one of them, instead, I sort of incorporate many of the teachings into a hodgepodge philosophy that I try to adhere by always.

Ultimately, I am a realist, I believe in action & reaction, thus the Thompson quote. If praying to a God brings one comfort, for goodness sake, pray then! But eventually, that God is not going to save you from hitting the rocks that your boat is heading for, only you and your own actions can save you from such a crash. Placebo effect? YES! I think that it makes folks feel better to be able to pray to a higher being, to relieve anguish, to bring about hope. But, does it really change the course of actions already set into place? Probably not, well, more than likely not.

How can one religion think that it's 'book' is any more true than that of any other religion? Throughout history, cultures have created religion for comfort, and to answer questions that really can not be answered. It has brought about comfort to people in crisis. It has also brought about control through fear. Religion has also been responsible for more killing, in the name of any God, who in all religions, says that killing is wrong, but it's ok as long as it promotes converting more people to that particular religion? I'm sure that if there is a God, he or she did not have that attitude in mind when creating commandments or any doctrine.

Hypocracy also keeps me from subscribing to organized religion. Why is ok to 'sin' away and be forgiven for these sins by confessing to a man hidden behind a black curtain? Shouldn't one have not commited said sin in the first place? A person then either lives with the idea that they can do whatever they want, no matter how morally wrong, because they can in turn just pray it away, or live in a constant state of guilt and fear of being condemned to hell. A question that resides in my head is, if there is a heaven and hell, and the Christian God is all forgiving, then why the need for hell? If through prayer and retribution, you are forgiven, then why would this God send you to hell then?

I believe in Jesus. I believe he was a man who was mortal.. I believe he was a good, kind man, who spent his days helping those folks around him in need. Do I believe that he was created through immaculate conception, no. I believe he, through the years and through the words of biblical creationists, became nothing short of a fable, no different than Paul Bunyan or Johnny Appleseed. Do I believe that he was hung on a cross to die? Probably. But I do not believe that he rose from the dead to ascend to 'heaven'. Why? because science and common sense have since proven that it is not possible, period.

Ultimately, I have great respect for people of faith. I'm glad they they have some hope for a future after death, but for me, the question of what actually happens after death goes on unanswered, I mean, it's not like someone dies, and comes back a year later and says, "dude, you're not gonna believe this"...so, in the meantime, I will continue to live as I do, treating all creatures, human and otherwise, with respect, and as I would like to be treated, following the per say 'Golden Rule'. To quote the lyrics of a band, The Avett Brothers, "Me and God don't need no middle man", for I am the one who has to live with my decisions, and look into my own eyes in the mirror, and know, that I am a good person, even when no one else is looking...


No comments:

Post a Comment